As with the 1830 U.S. Census, the 1870 U.S. Census reflects the resident status as of the 1st of June, 1870.
| Information recorded on the 1870 U.S. Census:
* Name of state, county and village, town, city,
township or district.
* Name of the census enumerator.
* Dwelling (or house) Number.
* Family Number.
* Name of every person residing in this dwelling as
of 01 June, 1870.
* Age of every person residing in this dwelling.
* Indication of citizenship of males 21 years of age and over.
* Sex of every person residing in this dwelling.
* Color/Race (i.e. white, black, mulatto, Chinese or Indian)
of every person residing in this dwelling.
* Place of birth or every person residing in this dwelling.
* Indication of whether either father or mother was of
* Month, if person was born or married within the year.
* Indication of whether person was deaf and dumb,
blind, insane, idiotic.
* Indication of whether person attended school
within the year.
* For persons over the age of 10, indication of whether
could not read and write.
* Occupation, profession or trade of every male person
over the age of 15 years.
* Value of real estate owned.
* Value of personal estate owned.
* Indication of males 21 years of age and over denied
the right to vote.
The 1870 U.S. Census is available on microfilm, and can be purchased by check or money order from the National Archives at the following address: National Archives Trust Fund, P.O. Box 100793, Atlanta, GA, 30384-0793. The NATF will accept credit cards as payment. If paying by credit card, include the card number, expiration date and the cardholder's signature, and write to: National Archives Trust Fund, Cashier (NAT), 8601 Adelphi Road, Room 5100, College Park, MD 20740-6001. You can also place an order by phone to: (800) 234-8861 between the hours of 8:00am and 4:30pm est.
Pennsylvania returns are found on Microfilm Publication #M593. Bedford County is recorded on Roll #1304. Blair County is recorded on Rolls #1309 and #1310. Cambria County is recorded on Rolls #1317 and #1318. Fulton County is recorded in Roll #1347. Huntingdon County is recorded on Roll #1349. Somerset County is recorded in Roll #1452.