As with the 1830 U.S. Census, the 1850 U.S. Census reflects the resident status as of the 1st of June, 1850.
In this census, quite a number of items were changed. Each and every person's name was recorded along with his or her age. A dwelling number was listed, and a family number was also listed. Numerous families might reside in the same dwelling, which is the reason for the two different numbers.
| Information recorded on the 1850 U.S. Census:
* Name of state, county and village, town, city,
township or district.
* Name of the census enumerator.
* Dwelling (or house) Number.
* Family Number.
* Name of every person residing in this dwelling
as of 01 June, 1850.
* Age of every person residing in this dwelling.
* Sex of every person residing in this dwelling.
* Color (i.e. white, black or mulatto) of every person
residing in this dwelling.
* Place of birth or every person residing in this dwelling.
* Indication of whether person was married within the year.
* Indication of whether person was deaf and dumb,
blind, insane, idiotic, a pauper, or a convict.
* Indication of whether person attended school
within the year.
* Number of persons over the age of 20 who could not
read and write.
* Occupation, profession or trade of every male person
over the age of 15 years.
* Value of real estate owned.
The 1850 U.S. Census is available on microfilm, and can be purchased by check or money order from the National Archives at the following address: National Archives Trust Fund, P.O. Box 100793, Atlanta, GA, 30384-0793. The NATF will accept credit cards as payment. If paying by credit card, include the card number, expiration date and the cardholder's signature, and write to: National Archives Trust Fund, Cashier (NAT), 8601 Adelphi Road, Room 5100, College Park, MD 20740-6001. You can also place an order by phone to: (800) 234-8861 between the hours of 8:00am and 4:30pm est.
Pennsylvania returns are found on Microfilm Publication #M432. Bedford County is recorded on Roll #751. Blair County is recorded on Roll #755. Cambria County is recorded on Roll #761. Fulton County is recorded in Roll #783. Huntingdon County is recorded on Roll #784. Somerset County is recorded in Roll #828.