The Hulbert Flag is believed to have been made and carried by Captain John Hulbert, of Bridgehampton and his company of Suffolk County, New York Militia. Hulbert's company was one of those directed to Fort Ticonderoga in July 1775. The flag, therefore, is believed to have been one of the first American flags created.
After the mission to Ticonderoga, Captain Hulbert and his company escorted British prisoners to Philadelphia. The Suffolk County Historical Society, where the remnant of the original flag is maintained, has suggested that the flag might have been seen by delegates to the Second Continental Congress in Philadelphia, influencing their design two years later. Hulbert's Company of militia was disbanded in January 1776, and the flag was put into storage, not to be discovered again until 1926.