Answer Page

That is the correct answer.

     The word granado, in the 1700s referred to a small, hollow globe made of iron into which was poured gun powder and with a fusee inserted through the sprue-hole. It was thrown toward the enemy with the intention of blowing up in their midst. The infantry regiment that used these 'grenades' was called the grenadiers.

Click on the "Betsy Ross Flag" below, or use your browser's "Back" button, for the next question.