Back Home

  I came home and started working with my dad in the woods, getting logs out and working on the mill sawing logs into lumber and delivering the sawed lumber to the various places that bought the finished product. It seemed like old times again. We had different people helping us. Of course, the mill was moved and we were cutting timber at different places and bringing the loga to the mill, which was set up in Brady’s field. The mill was closer home and we could stop and walk over the field for dinner. Weavers wanted to build a house where we had the mill, so we moved the mill up on the hill, about five hundred yards and got a new diesel motor to power the mill. We trucked logs from the beagle club and then from the other jobs where we cut it. We also did some custom sawing for other people.

  Days passed quickly. Everett McIntyre, or as we called him Farmer worked for us when he was laid off from the railroad. Leo Sammels also worked part time. Then there were the Hazenstab boys, Bob and Raymond and then there was Paul Snare who Worked for the pipe line but came up to the beagle club on his days off. We had a shanty that we hauled over to the job and Warren Stiffler, who helped cut paperwood, would get the dinners ready. Dinners were mostly along the line of fried meat and a lot of times we had soup beans with the meat. We spent about four years back there because there was plenty of timber to cut. We usually cut a lot of paperwood that we hauled to Roaring Spring and Williamsburg and sometimes Lock Haven. In our operation, we cut several small tracts of timber at different places.

  Later on we had a chance to get a bigger tract of timber and we worked on it for several years. - This is what is now called the beagle club. Let me explain. A group of hunters who owned beagles bought the Archie Claar farm and used it only for training purposes. They also had "field trials" Archie Claar had acquired five different farms and it constituted his pickle farm. At one time he was called the pickle king of Blair County. In the picking seasons he employed a dozen or so people to pick the crops which lasted several weeks. At some time or other he lost the farm and the beagle club came into possession of it. They decided that selective harvesting of the timber was what they wanted to do, and we had the best price.

  This tract was near home and we could just go over the hill and we would be at work. We started skidding logs and trees with one horse. We would turn her loose at the top of the hill and she would come to the barn that was located near where we live now. She usually stopped at the top of Hazenstabs hill and rolled, harness and all in a lime pile they had there and then came on home.. As business got better we acquired a surplus army scout carrier. It had four wheel drive and we could load it with paper wood and tow a couple of logs or trees behind it. This machine was very heavy and was made with steel armor plating, but it had lots of power.

  As time went on we saw the need of a crawler type tractor; so we purchased a diesel crawler made the Farmall Company. We used it a lot but the tracks began to come off, Our next crawler was a Caterpillar diesel with a winch. We used this unit for several years, even after we used up the lease at the beagle club. I spoke earlier of a shanty we used to store things in and also to get in out of the rain and also it was a place to eat our lunches. One of us would go there about eleven o’clock and get the dinner ready and then we would eat at twelve.

  While we were working at the beagle club, Texas Eastern put a pipeline in so they could pump natural gas through to eastern markets. The had dug a trench four feet wide and five or six foot deep in order to lay their pipe. This kept us from working there for a month. Of course, they paid us for lost time. We still came in another way and cut timber but we could not get it out.

  Most of the helpers that we had were part time. Watson Feathers cut paper wood. On one tract he got ambitious and cut on another mans land that we had not leased. Of course that cost us money. Warren Stiffler helped cut logs. Then there were the Hazenstab boys, Bob and Raymond, who did any of the jobs needed. Paul Snare, an engineer from the Tuscorora Pumping station, came in his spare time to carry out paperwood. He said he did it for exercise, and I guess he did. He had a good sense of humor and referred to the trail that led down the hollow as the"Burma Road". Raymond Hazenstab had a cut down chassis of an old car, which he sometimes drove over to the job at the beagle club job. Paul called it the poor man’s army truck.

  There was an ice storm that hit while we were working the beagle club. We woke up one morning finding our trees around the house broken down with ice. There was also probably two inches covering the ground. Needless to say, we could not work in the woods. We did a few jobs, cutting trees for people who had problems with them getting stuck in the electric wires.