Forts Of Mother Bedford

   The following list of sites have been identified as having been utilized as fortified structures during the period of the American Revolutionary War.

Forts of present-day Bedford County

   Fort Bedford ~ Located in the vicinity of Bedford Borough. Fort Bedford was built as one of the staging sites for the construction of Forbes' Road during the French and Indian War. It was garrisoned by the British during that period and was "captured" by James Smith and his Black Boys in 1769, making it the first British fort to fall to American rebels. The structure was used as a place of refuge during the Revolution by the local settlers. Click on the following link to access the Fort Bedford Page.
     

   Fort Coulter ~ Located on the property of Thomas Coulter (Cumberland Valley Twp.)

   Fort Defiance (aka Fort Martin) ~ Located along Sheavers Creek (West Providence Twp.)

   Juniata Crossings Fort ~ Located in the vicinity of Breezewood (West Providence Twp.)

   Fort Piper ~ Located on the property of Colonel John Piper (Hopewell Twp.)

   Fort Shoup ~ Located on the property of Sebastian Shoup (in the vicinity of Saxton Borough)

(Click On The Bar Below For A Map Of Bedford County Forts)

Forts of present-day Blair County

   Fort Fetter ~ Located on the property of Michael Fetter, Sr (in the vicinity of the Wye Switches, Blair Twp.) A Days Inn motel was recently built on the site of Fort Fetter.

   Fort Holliday ~ Located on the property of Peter Titus (in vicinity of Gaysport, Hollidaysburg Borough)

   Fort Lowry ~ Located on the property of David Lowry (in the vicinity of the Keller Chapel, Catharine Twp.)

   Fort Phillips ~ Located on the property of Captain William Phillips, Woodbury Twp.)

   Fort Roberdeau ~ Located in the Sinking Spring Valley (Tyrone Twp.) Fort Roberdeau was constructed under the direction of General Daniel Roberdeau in order to provide safety and protection for the lead miners in the Sinking Spring Valley. Click on the following link to access the Fort Roberdeau Page
     

   Fort Roller ~ Located on the property of Jacob Roller, Sr (in the vicinity of the Arch Spring, Tyrone Twp.)

(Click On The Bar Below For A Map Of Blair County Forts)

Forts of present-day Fulton County

   Fort Coombs ~ Located in the Tonoloway Creek valley (Ayr Twp.)

   Fort Lyttleton ~ Located in the vicinity of the town of Fort Lyttleton (Dublin Twp.)

   McConnellsburg Blockhouse ~ Located in the town laid out by Daniel McConnell (McConnellsburg Borough)

Forts of present-day Huntingdon County

   Fort Anderson ~ Located on the property of Samuel Anderson (Logan Twp.)

   Fort Hartsock ~ Located in the Woodcock Valley (in the vicinity of Marklesburg, PennTwp.)

   Fort Lytle ~ Located in Hart's Log Valley (in the vicinity of Alexandria Borough)

   Fort McAlevy ~ Located on the property of General William McAlevy (Jackson Twp.)

   Fort McCormick ~ Located on the property of Alexander McCormick (West Twp.)

   Fort Shirley ~ Located on the property of George Croghan (Shirleysburg Borough)

   Fort Standing Stone ~ Located in the vicinity of an Indian village on the Frankstown Path / Kittanning Trail (Huntingdon Borough)

(Click On The Bar Below For A Map Of Huntingdon County Forts)

Forts of present-day Somerset and Cambria Counties

   No sites have been identified as having been fortified during the American Revolutionary War period. A number of sites were utilized as staging sites for the construction of Forbes' Road, but they were not used during the Revolution. This would include the so-called Fort Dewart that was constructed in what is present-day Allegheny Township, Somerset County. This region was essentially frontier and the settlers traveled to take shelter at Fort Bedford when necessary.

A Draught Of Fort Bedford And Its Environs - 1761